Dr. Pierce received his Bachelor of Science from Tuskegee University in Animal Science/Pre-Vet Medicine. He obtained his Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine from Louisiana State University’s School of Veterinary Medicine. He completed a Small Animal Medicine and Surgery internship at the University of Tennessee’s College of Veterinary Medicine, and a specialty ophthalmology internship in southern California with Eye Care for Animals and B. Braun, Inc. He then completed a four-year Comparative Ophthalmology residency at Michigan State University with a Master’s degree, and became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists in 2011. Upon becoming certified in Veterinary Ophthalmology, Dr. Pierce was an Assistant Professor of Comparative Ophthalmology at Louisiana State University’s School of Veterinary Medicine, an associate at Garden State Veterinary Specialists in Tinton Falls, NJ, and an associate at Veterinary Eye Institute in Plano, TX. This vast level of experience has given Dr. Pierce the well-rounded and complete approach to treat your pet.
Dr. Pierce’s interests are in heritable retinal diseases of dogs. His Master’s degree research, “Sildenafil Reversibly Suppresses Rod-Mediated ERG Responses in Dogs Heterozygous for a PDE6A Mutation” was awarded the 2009 ACVO Best Research Paper Award. He is also interested in glaucoma and exotic animals.
When not working, Dr. Pierce and his wife, Nina, love to travel, cook, spend time with family and friends, and take up new hobbies, like scuba diving.
- Bachelor of Science: Tuskegee University, AL (Magna Cum Laude) – 2001
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine – 2005
- Master’s Degree: Michigan State University – 2011
- Residency: Michigan State University – 2011
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Medicine – 2011
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists
- ACVO Genetic Committee
- Board Member: 2012 – 2015
- Co-chair: 2013 – 2015
- ACVO Vision for Animals Foundation
- Board Member: 2016 – 2018
- Secretary/Treasurer: 2019 – present
- ABVO Exam Committee
- Board Member: 2020 – present
- ACVO Governance Committee
- Board Member:2019 – present